Zoom. It’s a fair bet to say that most of us had never even heard of the video conferencing platform in February. However, come March 2020 and most of us are working from home and using Zoom on a daily basis. This, of course, has bought with it anxiety about what your co-workers can see in the background of your Zoom calls. Chances are a random pet, spouse, child or housemate has made a guest appearance in most video meetings that you’ve been in. If you’d like to hide the chaos in the background, Zoom includes a nifty feature that allows you to upload and display an image as your virtual background during a meeting.
The first step is to source your Virtual Background images. You can either use an existing image you have saved to your computer, or upload one from online sources such as the Chookapeck Shop (free download).
If you are sourcing images from a website or via an email, you must either DOWNLOAD or SAVE the images to your computer before you upload them as a Virtual Background.
How to enable Virtual Backgrounds in your Zoom Settings
On your desktop computer:
- In your web browser, open Zoom.
- Sign in to your Zoom account.
- Click Settings.
- Click Meeting Settings (Advanced).
- Scroll through the list until you see Virtual Backgrounds.
- Toggle the switch on (blue).
Watch the video below for a step-by-step-guide to enabling Virtual Backgrounds in your Zoom settings:
How to upload and use your Virtual Backgrounds
Once you have enabled virtual backgrounds in your Zoom settings, you can then upload them so you can use them when you are in a meeting.
- When you are in a Zoom meeting click the ^ arrow next to Start/Stop Video.
- Click Choose Virtual Background…
- Click the + sign that is next to the Choose Virtual Background heading.
- Click Add Image.
- Navigate to where your image is saved.
- Click the image that you want to use as your Virtual Background.
The image will now be added as the background for your meeting.
- You can add or change images by repeating the steps above.
Virtual Background Examples
Free Zoom Virtual Backgrounds
Grab any (or all) of these FREE Zoom Virtual Backgrounds from the Chookapeck Shop.
Your images will be sent to you via email.
Zoom has a comprehensive guide to Virtual Backgrounds here.
Alternatively, you could book in for a One-on-one Coaching session where you get 30-90 mins of tailored training in areas of your choice. Coaching sessions are held via video link using Zoom. For more information and to book your session, please email me here.
Like some more tips on how to be more strategic in your digital marketing & communications? You might like to read these Chookapeck blog posts:
- 100+ WEEKEND HASHTAGS FOR INSTAGRAM
- INSTAGRAM HASHTAG TIPS AND TRICKS
- TIP: HIDING HASHTAGS IN INSTAGRAM STORIES
- INSTAGRAM HASHTAGS TO USE IN APRIL
You can also sign up here for instant access to the Chookapeck FREE Resource Library – including subscriber-only content such as 20+ Zoom Backgrounds, running an Online Meeting Checklist, Instagram Templates and more.